For New General Studies, Graduate, Visiting/Transfer, Postbacc & Certificate Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia University! As a new student, you need to fulfill several requirements prior to your arrival.
This website is a guide to planning and completing your requirements in order to avoid potential penalties and registration delays. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Important Things to Do
- First, activate your Columbia UNI (your computing account) and then check your University email account.
- To help you with the following activities, we recommend logging in to the interactive New Student Checklist.
- Submit the required immunization documentation for (1) measles, mumps, rubella; (2) COVID-19; and (3) certify your meningitis decision (and upload documentation if meningitis vaccine was received) via the Columbia Health Patient Portal upon admission or at least 30 days before registering for classes.
- Compliance with immunization requirements must be confirmed before the students are permitted to register for classes.
- Students are strongly encouraged to receive seasonal influenza vaccination. Students can encouraged to submit documentation for flu vaccines administered after August 1, 2022.
- Open enrollment for Spring Term students starts December 15, 2022 to February 15, 2023. Confirm your enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan or request a waiver (domestic students) or exception (international students)
- Submit waiver or exception requests by February 1, 2023.
- International Students: To help ensure that international students have access to the highest quality of care on- and off-campus, Columbia University requires all international students to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan (visit our website for possible exceptions). Confirm your enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan by the deadline or submit an exception request by February 1, 2023.
- Submit the Columbia Student Health History Form online no later than two weeks before orientation. Learn more about how information shared in this form helps ensure a smooth transition to campus.
- Students seeking reasonable accommodations or support services are required to register with Disability Services. Learn about eligible conditions (e.g. chronic or temporary physical, learning, medical, or psychological conditions), documentation, services, and important deadlines.
Student Financial Services
- Review your Student Account Statement using Student Services Online (SSOL).
- The first Spring 2023 billing statement will be emailed to you on December 19, 2022. The payment deadline is January 27, 2023.
- Visit the Student Financial Services website for the complete Billing Schedule.
- International Students: Begin the visa process through the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO).
- Visit the University Policy site for important policy information.