An academic certification is an official document provided by the University Registrar verifying dates of attendance, award of degree, and/or student status (full-time or part-time) by semester. It is typically requested for health insurance, visa, employment, or credit verification purposes. There is no fee for this service.

You must have current/prior registration on record to request this document. If you are an incoming student, you can request this verification document after registration during orientation. 

Certification Requests

The Office of the University Registrar contracts with the National Student Clearinghouse to be our official third-party provider of degree and enrollment certifications. The expectation is that all degree and enrollment certifications for current students will be requested from and processed by the National Student Clearinghouse.

Currently enrolled students can use a self-service application for the creation of official enrollment certifications through Student Services Online (SSOL).

Employers and insurers should contact the National Student Clearinghouse to verify a Columbia University degree. The Clearinghouse may be reached by phone at: (703) 742-4200.

Note: If you are requesting a certification for a visa, you should make certain that your expected graduation date is included on your record before leaving and returning to the United States.

Currently enrolled students should request enrollment certifications online using SSOL.

Students who have specialized forms can email requests to [email protected].

Students may request a certification of their disciplinary records from Student Conduct and Community Standards

Students who do not have access to SSOL can complete the Academic Certification Request Form and send it to [email protected].

Medical Center students with special certification requests should email [email protected].