Enroll in or Waive Health Insurance
All new and continuing students are required by the University to have quality health insurance.
Columbia Health is the on-campus resource that provides extensive health care and services for you while you are at the University*. The coverage provided by Columbia Health and a comparable insurance plan work together to meet your health care needs.
Domestic Students: To meet the insurance requirement, students must confirm their enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan OR request a waiver and provide proof of comparable coverage that meets the University requirements (instructions).
International Students: Navigating the US healthcare system can be complex. To help ensure that international students have access to the highest quality of care on- and off-campus, Columbia University requires all international students to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan. On a limited case-by-case basis, students may be eligible for an exception.
Open enrollment period
Open enrollment for new Fall Term students starts July 15, 2022 to September 30, 2022. (Coverage period: August 15, 2022 to August 14, 2023).
Students must submit their waiver/exception request by September 14, 2022 to ensure adequate time for processing and to avoid unintended fees.
Why enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan?
Columbia University wants you to have good coverage so that health needs and concerns--including unanticipated health care costs--are not a barrier to the achievement of your personal and academic goals. Here are a few key reasons to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan:
- No co-pays for medical and mental health services with Columbia Health providers
- Plan optimized to the needs of students
- Global coverage for routine, urgent, and emergency care
- Dental service discounts
- Premiums billed to your student account (no upfront payments)
- Dedicated insurance team to provide support (onsite at John Jay, 3rd Floor and virtual)
*The Columbia Health and Related Services Fee covers access to all of Columbia Health's programs and services (Alice! Health Promotion, Counseling and Psychological Services, Disability Services, Medical Services, Sexual Violence Response, the Student Health Insurance Office, and Immunization Compliance Office).
Students who DO NOT take action before the deadline will be automatically enrolled in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan.
30 days before you register for classes, all new students must:
- Submit (1) measles, mumps, and rubella, (2) COVID-19 immunization documentation and (3) certify their meningitis decision (and upload documentation if meningitis vaccine was received) via the Columbia Health Patient Portal.