Enroll in or Waive Health Insurance
All new and continuing students are required by the University to have quality health insurance.
Columbia Health is the on-campus resource that provides extensive health care and services for you while you are at the University*. The coverage provided by Columbia Health and a comparable insurance plan work together to meet your health care needs.
Domestic Students - To meet the insurance requirement, students MUST confirm their enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan or provide proof of comparable coverage that meets the University requirements and request a waiver.
International Students - Navigating the US healthcare system can be complex. To help ensure that international students have access to the highest quality of care on- and off-campus, Columbia University requires all international students to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan.
Columbia University wants you to have good coverage so that health needs and concerns--including unanticipated health care costs--are not a barrier to the achievement of your personal and academic goals. Here are a few key reasons to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan:
- No co-pays for on-campus medical and mental health services
- Plan optimized to the needs of students
- Global coverage for routine, urgent, and emergency care
- Dental service discounts
- Premiums billed to your student account (no upfront payments)
- Onsite insurance team to provide support (John Jay, 3rd Floor)
Please visit the Columbia Health website for detailed information about the plan, eligibility, optional dental and vision plans, contact information, and more.
Be sure you take action on one of the two options below to ensure coverage and avoid unintended fees.
Open enrollment for new Summer Term students starts May 1 to June 30, 2021. (Coverage period: time of enrollment/May 1 until August 14, 2021)
Option 1 - Confirm enrollment in the plan
Option 2 - Request a waiver from the plan (Domestic Students only)
*The Columbia Health and Related Services Fee covers access to all of Columbia Health's programs and services (Alice! Health Promotion, Counseling and Psychological Services, Disability Services, Medical Services, Sexual Violence Response, and the Insurance and Immunization Compliance Officers).
The Fee is mandatory for all full-time domestic, international students and part-time students who enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan. Part-time students may opt to pay the fee to access Columbia Health's on-campus services.
All new and returning full-time domestic and all international students must:
Confirm your insurance selection.
All new and returning part-time domestic students can:
Choose to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan.
30 days before you register for classes, all new students must:
- Submit Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Documentation to the Immunization Compliance Office.
- Certify your meningitis vaccination decision.
Prior to arrival on campus, all new students must also:
- Obtain your flu vaccination. It is recommended you obtain the vaccine at the earliest opportunity. If you are vaccinated prior to arrival, please follow these instructions to upload proof of your vaccine to the patient portal. You may also get your vaccine through Columbia Health. Appointment only, no-charge flu vaccines will be offered on the Morningside Campus. Appointments via the online patient portal are required to ensure physical distancing. More information here.